As the original inventors of buoyancy shorts back in 2007, we are proud that our first design is still going strong and are now called the “Originals” to recognize their heritage. With over a decade of fantastic customer reviews behind them, they have helped thousands of swimmers to improve both their body position in the water and swim technique.
‘The Originals’ are made from top Yamamoto Smoothskin neoprene and are stitched and bonded the same way as a triathlon wetsuit. The shorts are designed using 3mm neoprene down the centre for buoyancy and 5mm neoprene down the sides to promote hip rotation through each stroke.
- Highly buoyant design for heavy legged swimmers.
- 3mm Yamamoto Smoothskin front and back panels.
- 5mm Yamamoto Smoothskin side panels.
- New comfort focused waistband.
- Improves your body position and swim technique.
- Designed as a natural feeling alternative to a pull buoy.
- Enhanced core support to aid with technique development.
- Backed by over a decade of positive reviews.
Buoyancy Shorts serve three main purposes:
- For novice or intermediate level swimmers the major factor that prevents them from swimming faster, is the lack of core stability and their leg kick. Their arm strength and technique is generally good but they have poor body positioning creating a lot of drag and ‘dead weight’, which makes it much harder to swim efficiently.
- Buoyancy shorts place the swimmer in the correct horizontal and streamlined position, helping to build a ‘neural pattern’ of how they should feel in the water. This also allows the swimmer to concentrate on a more effective leg kick and glide with each stroke, without that ‘sinking leg’ feeling.
- The extra support also allows the swimmer to focus more on their arm stroke technique.
- Results have shown that over time a swimmer’s body position, speed and endurance can be significantly increased by training with buoyancy shorts
- Suitable for any level of triathlete who wants to refine their open water swimming technique while in a pool. Swimming in a wetsuit during a triathlon is very different to swimming without a wetsuit during a swimming race. The majority of your power needs to derive from your upper body whereas your legs and core provide the essential control. These shorts help develop your open water swimming technique while in the pool, where wearing a full wetsuit would either be too hot, or banned by the life-guards.
- For use in open-water training or races as an alternative to swimming in a full wetsuit (when the water is warm enough!).
Sizes available are XS, S, M, L and XL. Each set of shorts has a drawstring so they can be tightened to any waist size but we would recommend the size XS for waist sizes XS 26– 30, S for 28-31, M for 31 – 33, L for 34 – 38, XL 36 – 40 and XXL 36 – 42 in.